Rye (10-0) vs. Section 9’s Highland (7-3)
Friday, 7:30 at Dietz Stadium, Kingston
Five things to know about Highland:
1. Highland was last in the state tournament in 1998 when it won four out of five Class C titles. It beat Edgemont in 1995 and Dover in ‘96.
2. Highland won last week’s title with a 22-yard field as time expired, beating New Paltz, 19-16. New Paltz was the reigning champ, losing to Rye in last year’s state quarterfinal.
3. The ball won’t be in the air unless it’s kicked. Highland runs on nearly every play, spreading carries between Brian McCabe, Rob Tracz and Mike Fallatik.
4. Amazingly, Highland didn’t score an offensive touchdown last week. McCabe scord twice off fumble returns, and the defense picked up a safety. The defense is solid, allowing seven points or fewer in seven games. It had six interceptions in a win two weeks ago.
5. Highland was beaten handily by Cornwall, 41-0, a month ago. It’s other losses were to Class A Saugerties, and O’Neill.
For more info:
Check out the Highland page on Varsity845.com
. There’s also the Section Nine Football site
The winner faces either Beekmanown (Section 7/10) or Hudson Falls (Section 2) on Saturday, Nov. 22 at 4 p.m. at Dietz